Boo! It’s day five of 7 Days of HEALTHY-ish Halloween! This recipe is probably the most guilty when it comes to health but that is only because of the frosting. Feel free to leave that out! I want to give you a few disclaimers before we get started, this is not a gluten free recipe. On top of that you will see that the frosting recipe I am posting is also not vegan. However, I said what to do if you want it to be vegan and it is quite simple. The two recipes only differ by one ingredient. But don’t fear! The cupcake itself is completely vegan. Happy baking!
Pumpkin Chocolate Vegan Cupcakes
You will need~
This will make about 8 cupcakes.
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup raw sugar
- 1/3 cup sun flower oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon maple extract or more vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 350°F and line a muffin pan with paper or foil liners.
2. Whisk together the almond milk and vinegar in a large bowl, then set aside for a few minutes to curdle.
3. Add the sugar, oil, vanilla extract, and other extract, if using, to the almond milk mixture and beat until foamy.
4.In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
5. Mix the wet ingredients into the dry as you stir, beat until there are no large lumps remaining. (A few small ones are alright.)
6. Pour into liners, filling 3/4 of the way. Bake 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely.
You will need~
- 1/4 cup butter (don’t add for vegan version)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2/3 cup pumpkin
- Unsweetened vanilla almond milk OR unsweetened coconut milk
Mix and beat with enough milk to make it creamy and spreadable.
Thats it! Decorate as you’d like, then serve to your friends and family.